The AWARE – Coral Reef Conservation Specialty
The AWARE – Coral Reef Conservation Specialty course teaches divers, snorkelers and non-divers about the vital role of coral reefs in the marine environment. The course familiarizes participants with the current state of the world’s coral reefs and important marine animal populations, and includes information how they can help.
The course will be taught by Joanne Brown. She is a PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer and has a Bachelor of Science degree in Ecology and Masters Degree in Science Education. She is a teacher at Lakewood High School, currently teaching Chemistry and Biology.
This course is conducted exclusively at Denver’s Downtown Aquarium. Among the inclusions is a behind-the-scenes visit to several exhibits as well as a PowerPoint presentation.
What do you need to start?
- No dive certification required
- A.W.A.R.E. – Our World, Our Water manual (not required but recommended)
- All are welcome and there’s no minimum age requirement
- Enthusiasm and a desire to help protect this fragile environment
What does this non-diving course include?
- An introduction to Project AWARE
- The importance of coral reefs to marine ecosystems and coastal areas
- Coral reef biology and the importance of diversity
- The status of the world’s coral reefs and key animal species
- Suggestions on responsible diving and snorkeling practices
- PADI Specialty Certification and photo
- Your choice (that day only) of either a 1-day aquarium pass or free parking at the facility
- $100.00 SeaLife Camera Set Gift Certificate for use on any current model SeaLife DC1400 Camera Package
How long will it take?
Approximately 3 hours (9 am to noon). It concludes with a private tour of the aquarium’s live coral and shallow water exhibits. The perfect opportunity to use your newly acquired knowledge……. immediately!
$90 per person
Where do you go from here?
The AWARE – Coral Reef Conservation Specialty course counts as one of five Specialty course certifications required for the Master Scuba Diver certification.
Further, you can use this course to complement your Peak Performance Buoyancy, AWARE – Fish Identification, Underwater Naturalist or Underwater Photography Specialty courses, also available through A-1 at the aquarium.
Sign Up Now
Click to see the upcoming class schedule and reserve your spot now, or call (303) 789-2450!
Please note: Cancelling less than one week before the starting date will result in a forfeit of your deposit.