PADI AWARE Shark Conservation Distinctive Specialty Course
Sharks are crucial to marine ecosystems. They maintain a balance in populations of prey species and keep the ocean healthy by removing ill or diseased animals. They are an important resource supporting local economies through fishing and as an attraction to dive tourists.
But sharks are in a global decline. Overfishing has reduced many shark populations around the world to levels that threaten their continued existence. Shark numbers have fallen by more than 80% in many cases, and the continued existence of some species is at immediate risk in some regions.
What will you learn?
During your two dives at the Downtown Aquarium you’ll learn:
- Why sharks are in peril and why we should care.
- Threats to sharks and how they could be managed. Recognizing the value of sharks and removing barriers to conservation.
- Actions you can take to protect sharks, sharks in your area and how joining a global movement of divers can help protect sharks.
- Basic shark biology and body structure
By the start of the course, a diver must be:
- Certified as a PADI (Junior) Open Water Diver or have a qualifying certification from another training organisation. In this case, a qualifying certification is defined as proof of entry-level scuba certification with a minimum of four open water training dives. Verify student diver prerequisite skills and provide remediation as necessary.
- At least 12 years.
How long will it take?
• Approximately 3-4 hours (starts at 11am)
Course Fee: $249.00
- Two dives in the Shipwreck Exhibit “Shark Tank”
- Classroom instruction
- BCD, Regulator, Gauges, Wetsuit
- PADI Specialty Certification Card and photo
- $100.00 SeaLife Camera Set Gift Certificate for use on any current model SeaLife DC1400 Camera Package
- Mask, Fins & Booties (these may be rented)
- Parking at the Downtown Aquarium
Note: Due to concerns about exhibit contamination and animal safety, you are only allowed to use your own mask and fins & booties.
*There is a reduced fee if you have completed the first dive in the Adventures in Diving Course. Please call us for more information.
Sign Up Now
Click to see the upcoming class schedule and reserve your spot now, or call (303) 789-2450!
Please note: Cancelling less than one week before the starting date will result in a forfeit of your payment.